Finding CPU utilization is one of the important tasks in systems administration. There are built-in and 3rd party tools that you can use to perform this task.
1. top – displays Linux tasks
this is the most common command used in getting CPU usage
2. mpstat – display CPU individually and processors related stats.
In order to use this, package “sysstat” should be installed. you can use apt-get (debian-based) or yum (red-hat based) command to install it via internet
#yum install sysstat
#mpstat -P ALL
3. sar – Collect, report, or save system activity information.
#sar -u 3 7
sar in 3 secs interval & 7 times
4. ps – report a snapshot of the current processes.
#ps -eo pcpu,pid,user,args | sort -k 1 -r | head -20
who’s eating ur cpu?
5. iostat – Report Central Processing Unit (CPU) statistics and
input/output statistics for devices, partitions and network
#iostat -xtc 5 3